Skip to main content

A note from Aleksander

I have always found it strange that people in the world of the Council of Sorcery and Shifters are so interested in me and what I’m doing. It was my father who altered the course of my life by kicking me out of his dragon court, then telling everyone who would listen what he thought was wrong with me. Five dragons followed me out and that was the foundation of D’Vaire. As you know, we spent centuries hopping all over the beautiful land of Europe before Emperor Chrysander made the decision to accept Arch Lich Chander Daray’s invitation to not only join the Council but take it over.

We moved to North America and not much changed for us beyond the landscape until Dra’Kaedan knocked on my front door. What those dragons that followed me couldn’t have known was that I kept secrets. One of them was my suspicion that I’d once met Reverent Knight Drystan Gylde-Kempe before he was resurrected. I didn’t know for sure, so I never said a word to him, but when his other half Conley got his memory back it confirmed that I was not mistaken. The pair were once my emperors and it took me a few years to accept that their lives played out the way they should giving them an eternity to love each other.

It might’ve seemed monumental at the time that I told no one about my notion regarding Drystan but there is a bigger secret that I’ve kept from my family. Growing up with a father that had no tolerance for anyone who wasn’t exactly like him forced me to pretend I was something that I am certainly not. After we flew beyond the land of Court Ethelin, there was too much to concern myself with to sit those five dragons down and confess all. Time passed and it grew more awkward as they made assumptions about me.

There was a part of me that yearned for that perfect opportunity to correct them on their misconception while another feared their reaction. Not that I expected to be shunned by these incredible D’Vaires with their amazing capacity to care and nurture for others. It was more that they would be angry with me for keeping anything about myself hidden. But our lives are bound to Fate and she has gifts we should never deny including our beasts. There is one other thing that she chooses for us and for as long as I’ve been a D’Vaire I have insisted that I have no desire to meet my mate.

The truth is I lied. I want that more than anything. I’d like to share my life with someone and give everything inside my heart to them. So why pretend otherwise? That one is an easy question. If my other half should ever cross my path, I will no longer be able to conceal the fact that I am gay. It is a relief to write that and I just hope when my family finds out they are able to forgive me for keeping that from them. You might ask why it matters or perhaps wondering why I’m writing this at all.

Well…I met him. My other half. The best part of my soul. Each D’Vaire story is told so that you might enjoy our journey. Next year, you will get the chance to read mine and meet the extraordinary man who Fate matched so perfectly to me. My book is called Heart of the High King and is the nineteenth in our series. I hope you don’t mind that it’s a bit longer at roughly 176,000 words but I didn’t want you to miss any part of our journey. Have no fear that anything about D’Vaire is ending with me, there are still plenty of people you’ve met who are still waiting and others you’ll be introduced to soon. Thank you for sticking with us this far and I can’t wait for you to meet my mate.

~ Aleksander

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur