Skip to main content

Schereding in a new warlock book

Scheredin’s story wasn’t one I ever thought would come to fruition. As I created the D’Vaire universe, I put Noirin and Scheredin in there because they’re a vital part of my life and it was fun to add my gaming personas into my fantasy world. However, while Noirin’s path was chartered quickly thanks to Rafe and how his romance with Aleksander worked out, Scheredin didn’t cooperate in the slightest. His personality emerged as I poked and prodded at him, and he was full of surprises.

I tried to pair him with multiple partners, and although I was pretty sure about his magic, I wasn’t positive he wanted to be a dark warlock until I wrote The Dragon Masquerade. But from the start I wanted Scheredin’s partner to have something to do with his gaming. For me, that was a neat way to honor the true Scheredin who exists virtually. Thankfully, Scheredin and Kieran liked the idea too, and when they were ready, the details spilled out in a rush.

Their book wound up being one of those that was relatively easy to craft. I was left with mysteries about the origins of phoenixes and even the Tarinthi elf tribe, but I can’t imagine it’ll be last we hear of the groups—especially the shifters since I suspect there is more there to investigate. Warlock stories are fun for me, and I hope there are more to come, though I haven’t written one since Scheredin. I have a familiar whose mate I know, but the rest of the bunch is being evasive. 

The biggest surprise in Embers of Darkness was Kieran’s brother. I didn’t expect him to wind up at D’Vaire, but I’m glad he did, and I look forward to discovering his mate. Of course, I have an exceptionally long list of gentlemen waiting for their turn, so who knows when Heathcliff will get his happily ever after.

It would be remiss of me not to mention Klodjana and her role in Scheredin's life. The name Klodjana originally came from one of the gaming personas my husband has since all but abandoned and she was intended to be a good character in the book, but it didn't work out that way.

Although not every character in my head is based on my personal experiences with people, Klodjana is one who stems from my own family. I have two sisters. My eldest sibling is someone I speak to daily and game with her and her husband at least once a week. 

As for my youngest sister, she has chartered her own path and neither me nor my older sibling speak to her. It was not an easy decision to sever those ties, but when a person offers only toxicity it leaves little room for love or understanding. The last time I spoke to her in person was outside a courtroom when I had to assume custody of her eldest child. We remained in contact until her daughter went to college, but once I could I took a giant step away from her to escape the constant flow of lies and drama.

Her decisions have consistently been based on what she wants without any regard for anyone else. Klodjana became that person in Scheredin's life though in a decidedly less painful course than the one my younger sibling chose to follow. Whether we learn more about Klodjana in the stories is based on who gets their book and how it fits into the series in a logical fashion. 

There are a lot of characters in the D'Vaire world. I would love to include them all into every book to keep you updated on their lives and their role in the family, but it's not always feasible to throw in a side character we haven't seen for a while though I do try to take those opportunities when I can.

Which leads us to the future of the D’Vaire. It’s been a little rocky for my work in progress, so I'm taking my time to ensure every detail is correct. Which means I've postponed my deadline twice and I've done little more than start. The two characters in it are fantastic, and I’m enjoying the project but yeah, I don't like not getting off the ground running. 

As a writer, I often have moments where I wonder how far my career will go and whether it's feasible to continue this lengthy series indefinitely. My belief in myself and my ability to craft stories has been shaken recently, but hopefully my year will only get better from here. I don't speak often about how anxiety inducing releases are for me or how difficult it becomes at times to restrain my OCD in relation to my career, but I'm in one of those darker spots right now so please forgive my rambling. I will rise out of the drudgery soon, I always do.

On a much happier note, allow me to tell you about the next D'Vaire book which will be out at the end of March. Number twenty-eight is one of those couples I’ve wanted to write forever, but they insisted I wait. Since their pairing pre-dates the series, it allowed me to lay the groundwork for many of the things that take place in their book in previous titles. Unlike Scheredin and Kieran, book twenty-eight didn’t flow swiftly.

I put so much effort into my outlines that it’s rare that I scrap chapters after I finish a book or rewrite entire sections, but I didn’t have any choice in this instance. It had to be right, and I had to ensure that it was. I fought with myself about some of the events in the book and the necessity of them, but I knew I couldn't back down from what had to unfold. So, who’s in it? Well, like Embers of Darkness, it features a character you know and someone entirely new to the series, though you’re familiar with his race since I’ve done a couple of titles with them already.

Actually, both men come from races often seen in the series and they’re undead. I went through a phase or something because there are several books coming out this year that feature at least one dead guy. So, the guy you know has a revered last name, and he serves as a vital part of the leadership of his race. He has a hobby that often comes into play in stories that feature his family and, unlike Eduard’s awful saxophone playing, this dead guy is excellent at what he does.

I hope I’ve given you enough clues to figure out who he is, and that your year is off to an excellent start!

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/jessamynkingley/
Facebook page: Facebook.com/jessamynkingley
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Jessamyn-Kingley/e/B00WDBYTFG/
Twitter: Twitter.com/jessamynkingley
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jessamyn-kingley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur