Skip to main content

Two elves, a centaur, and an enviable collection of toys...


Unpredictable Fate was an interesting journey. When I started Disregarding Fate, I had an idea of what Evlithar’s life was like and why he made the decisions that he did. Evlithar wasn’t perfect and he wasn’t always right, but when I neared the end, I found myself altering aspects I thought long ago decided. The birth of Kalthekor’s child sent him reeling and he changed drastically. By the time I completed Evlithar and Cadlyr’s journey I was feeling rather sorry for Kalthekor. But I set it aside. He had a mate and unfortunately, she did not make him happy.

When we got to the editing stage of Disregarding Fate, Hope (one of my editors) mentioned how bad she felt for him too and was there something that could be done to help him. Although I could understand and appreciate her point of view, Fate’s choice had been made. I moved on but it festered in my brain. Out of nowhere a centaur charged in and nothing would ever be the same. I grew excited about the idea of giving Kalthekor someone he could love and be loved in return. But it took me a full year of going through scenarios and tossing them aside to figure out how to make it possible without destroying the foundation of the entire D’Vaire universe. In the end, there was only one way to go and that’s the way it played out in the book. 

The other challenge to Unpredictable Fate is that it's the first D’Vaire title with a child who figured prominently in the story. As important as Pyxlevir is to Kalthekor, he could not be an afterthought. I didn’t want him to have a cameo or two and everything focus on the main characters. They are parents and it is the center of their lives. It turned out to be a great deal of fun and Pyxlevir has a very special place in my heart. For me the beauty of D’Vaire is the different things I get to try so while I will certainly tackle children in future books it would be tiresome if every story now featured one.

Speaking of the future, next up is Marked by Lightning. As I’ve mentioned before, it features Prism Wizard Vadimas Porfyra. As many people in my Facebook group have surmised from the title, the other half of the equation is Arch Wizard Severin Dewitt. In July, you’ll find out how these two leaders meet and what happens from there!

Aleksander is demanding that I tell you that he’s next up on the writing table. I am getting ready to outline a short story that will feature him prominently. Since I finished Heart of the High King, I have been dying to revisit him and his mate so I’m excited. There’s a D’Vaire or two peeking around my brain and I’m trying to decide if they want to get a chapter in this or if they’re finally ready to have their book written. If not, there are certainly plenty of people past the mansion who can run in and allow me to see their full journey so I can try my best to translate it into words. I’m curious and have a pen at the ready to jot down details so hopefully I will find that couple shortly!

Thanks to everyone who continues to support D’Vaire and is on this crazy ride with me. I love that I get to bring these guys to the world and that so many wonderful people have chosen to read them. I could not do this without you!

To get the most updated info and to have fun with conspiracy theories about what’s coming in D’Vaire, join the lively group of folks that make me smile everyday in my Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/jessamynsruffians/

It would be remiss of me not to include the playlist for Unpredictable Fate so here it is:

“Heart of Novocaine” by Halestorm
“Breathe” by Faith Hill
“Machine” by Josh Groban & Herbie Hancock
“Won’t Look Back” by Josh Groban
“Mercy Mirror” by Within Temptation
“Raise Your Banner (feat. Anders Fridén) by Within Temptation
“With Arms Wide Open” by Creed
“Feel Something” by Adam Lambert
“Feels Like Forever” by Joe Cocker
“I Cross My Heart” by George Strait
“Footprints In the Sand” by Leona Lewis
“Worth Every Mile” by Travis Tritt
“I Want To Know What Love Is” by Foreigner
“Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett
“Never” by Heart
“Nothin’ At All” by Heart
“Because of You” by Kelly Clarkson
“Frozen” by Madonna
“Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur