Skip to main content

About that vengeful elf...

Chieftain Lorcan of the Acwellan’s eyes flew open and a smile spread across his face. It was not a pleasant sight. It was a decidedly wicked flash of white teeth and although he had once been considered a handsome elf, over a thousand years of hatred and malice had twisted his features into a perpetual sneer. ~ from Vengeance from the Dark

Elves. I love them. If I am playing a game where I can choose my race, they are always the ones I select first. When I started worldbuilding for D’Vaire they immediately made their presence known. I didn’t want one kind but many with varying colors of skin, hair, and eyes. Each tribe approaches the world differently and just like humans there are good ones and bad. In Sentinel’s Dagger you meet the first one Edion. But he wasn’t the initial elf in my mind. It was Chieftain Lorcan of the Acwellan who stepped forward with a scowl and a bad attitude.

We all have those moments in life when we get kicked around or have to deal with monstrously difficult situations. I was in one of those periods of my life and I was angry about it. My husband and I were driving home one evening and I want venting while he was probably wondering how many more hours he was going to be trapped in a car with a crazy woman. It was late when we got home, and I laid down to sleep but I was still pissed. As I often do, I tried to calm myself down by creating stories and characters.

Instead of some nice sweet guy who just wants to find his mate Lorcan swaggered in. I have to say I fell in love immediately. I wanted to know his story. Why was he so cranky? What happened to him? And of course, who was his mate? Who could possibly deal with this jerk?

After the rocky road of writing Sentinel’s Dagger, Book 3 began with a avalanche of chapters right away. I didn’t get to finish it though. I had to stop halfway through (one of those pesky surgeries) and I’ll be honest at that time I wasn’t sure if I would ever finish a book again. Things were ugly and messy for me not only in life but with the original editor who handled Sentinel’s Dagger and I was ready to just walk away.

For six months I didn’t write a word. Lorcan didn’t go away and on a trip to Minnesota for Christmas where I go most years instead of putting everything behind me I’m trying to name the damn book. So, I knew I needed to get my shit together and finish the damn thing. As soon as I sat down to do so, once again the story just rolled out of me. I had a blast with Lorcan’s story. In the dark areas of my brain I know there are more men like him just waiting for their chance to get the spotlight. I won’t fight them when they do.

The only two songs attached to Vengeance from the Dark:

“A Demon’s Fate” by Within Temptation (this band shows up a lot in my lists as they are one of my favorites. As you can probably guess – this song belongs to Lorcan)
“Fire and Ice” by Within Temptation (his poor mate’s viewpoint)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur