Skip to main content

Origins

As I look ahead to the release of Dra’Kaedan’s Coven, my thoughts are drawn back to how it all started. There have always been characters in my head, but it wasn’t until I was a teenager that I understood they were stories that needed to be told. I have created many and for years I worked on a series of books that I still have yet to write. There are notebooks of plot outlines and timelines but nothing more than a collection of a few chapters. They are all contemporary stories and they started as M/F.

My first gay character started as a secondary one, but I kept getting drawn back to him. Once I started reading M/M his story wouldn’t go away. Suddenly, it wasn’t just his story in my head but there were other couples as well. Since I have always been a gamer, its difficult for me to escape fantasy and some of these new people wanted powers. It was time to create a new series.

At the start, I was going to do a mixed series. One book M/F and the next M/M. They were going to be mostly stand alone so if you didn’t want to read one or the other you could skip around. I started worldbuilding and the first character created was a dragon shifter. Why dragons? They’ve been a part of my life from the start. I was born in the year of the dragon, I was married in the year of the dragon and even my first tattoo was a dragon. Instead of trying to decide what kind of shifter I wanted, it was more like what else could he be BUT a dragon.

I named him Aleksander. King Aleksander D’Vairedraconis. I needed to find him a mate and she had to be someone worthy of the leader of Court D’Vaire. I found myself wondering what would happen if she was secreted off to a cottage by her evil grandfather with her familiar while a great war was happening. I named her Latarian and with her familiar Ayden she wound up spending six centuries or so with no idea she was the last witch alive. She met Aleksander, became Queen Latarian, and eventually the Grand Witch. Her familiar Ayden was shocked to find out his mate was Duke Brogan D’Vairedraconis and his story was going to be second.

I started Aleksander and Latarian’s book but after a few chapters something was wrong. I kept getting sidetracked by Ayden and his story. Latarian kept doing things that were out of character. She was supposed to be good, but she continued to act horribly. Aleksander was pissed and sad and I was wondering what the hell was going on. Once it became clear Aleksander and Latarian were just not going to work, I focused on Ayden. There was more to his story. What if HE were the one who was meant to lead his people? What if he had a brother out there searching for him? The first chapter of Aleksander’s book eventually became the opening of the first Book 1. (Parts of it are still in there but it’s no longer the way Book 1 will open when it’s re-released on August 30th.)

Ayden became Grand Warlock Dra’Kaedan and the rest I guess was history. I was supposed to do Blodwen’s story second but again I got sidetracked. I wanted to do her sentinel’s story instead. When it became clear that I wasn’t going to be able to keep myself from fixating on these wonderful gay couples, I dropped the idea of splitting the series between M/F and M/M. I may write M/F someday but if I do it will be under a different pen name but for now I have nothing but D’Vaire books in my sights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur