Skip to main content

Saying goodbye is never easy

Although I’ve got all kinds of ideas running through my head, I haven’t written anything since I finished Aleksander’s book. (And damn do I miss him and his mate! They are definitely going to be featured in more short stories.) I believe I’ve got most of the outline figured out for the short story I need to complete next, so my plan is to tackle that next week. My goal is to get that wrapped up before GRL so I can focus on my next book when I return from New Mexico. The couple featured are jumping up and down for my attention and I’m looking forward to it. It’s got some elements that are unique, and I do love a challenge.

A few months ago, I told you about my best friend’s mother who found out she had metastatic lung cancer. If you’ve heard me talk about her, you know that she’s been a major influence in my life, and I consider her family. The last I wrote I was heading to Minnesota to see her and that she wasn’t doing well. It was a nice trip although very difficult. Her favorite day was always Christmas, so we had a huge get-together complete with Santa and Mrs. Claus. She was in high spirits and I know she loved every minute.

Leaving was difficult, I was sure it was the last time I would see her, and I used to mourn the fact that I never got to say goodbye to my biological mother before her death from metastatic colon cancer. Now I know it wouldn’t have made any difference to me in the end. What words can you say to encompass the love in your heart? It’s impossible. So, you do the best you can, and you cry your tears. Walking out of that house was brutal and the trip home was solemn.

I’d barely gotten in the door when I got a text message from Patrick saying that the family member staying with her had some concerns and wanted everyone to come over. Two hours later, he called to tell me that she was gone. It’s funny how even when you know someone is extremely ill, you’re still shocked when they pass. Tomorrow I’m heading back to Minnesota for her funeral. I’m not even letting myself think about speaking in public and how much I hate that. Instead, I’m trying to focus on all the wonderful memories she has left me with and how much I will always cherish them.

My husband and I have opted not to go to her internment where she’s going to be buried next to the grandparents she so adored. Not only is it the day before we’re scheduled to leave for GRL, we’d prefer to save that leave from his work and those dollars to return to Minnesota for Christmas, so we don’t miss her favored holiday. I know it won’t be quite as raucous or lively, but I do know she’ll be there cheering us on to have a great time.

Until then, I’ll be here muddling on and trying to adjust to a world without her in it. It’s not the first time in my life I’ve wished for a giant pause button so time will stop until I’m ready to face the day again and unfortunately it won’t be the last. But I also know that things will get easier and I’ll pour everything I can into the D’Vaire guys I love so much. That would please her, she rarely let an opportunity slip to tell anyone who would listen that I was a writer.

The picture is from Christmas 2012 I think. I'm not a good picture taker so I don't have a lot but she's the pretty lady in front wearing the blue paisley shirt. I've got more recent ones but this was the only holiday one I could find.

Thank you for taking this D'Vaire journey with me and for lifting my spirits during this tumultuous summer. I appreciate your words, your support, and your love. It means everything to me. And I promise to keep focused on crafting stories for all these imaginary friends of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur