Skip to main content

Niko and Costas

Precariously Mated isn’t your typical D’Vaire book. The two main characters, Niko and Costas, build a friendship before Fate pairs them. I enjoy making the rules for the D’Vaire universe and at the same time, I like to see how far they can be pushed. The challenge of writing stories that differ is something I am intrinsically drawn to, but there are times that I don’t quite anticipate where that journey will take me.

If you’ve had the chance to read Precariously Mated, or at least peeked at the author’s note at the start, you know that Niko shares something in common with me. I believed that creating a character with obsessive-compulsive disorder would be easy or perhaps cathartic, but it was quite the opposite. It made me uncomfortable to reflect upon how much the mental disorder impacts my life and I suppose that’s because I prefer to think of myself as the one consummately in control. When my husband read Niko and Costas’s story, his reaction was quite unlike his response when finishing the others in the series.

Often, I get little pushback from him, so it was surprising when he adamantly told me I still had plenty of work to do. His conclusion was that I’d started off with Niko’s OCD represented well but that I’d failed to carry that tension throughout the book. I went back to the drawing board and forced myself to confront my struggles and therefore Niko’s as well. It wasn’t easy, but it was certainly what Niko deserved. The husband was told he had to read the book a second time (bitching ensued) but he was satisfied that I’d tackled Niko’s personality better.

Although it was tough, I’m happy with how it turned out. Niko is a guy who went through a lot and who slowly finds out what he’s capable of. He deserved someone who not only loved him but respected him and I believe he certainly got that in Costas. Here’s a little secret about Costas: when I wrote the first D’Vaire book, Aleksander and the gang walk into Emperor Chrysander’s office and meet His Majesty and his twin, Imperial Duke Damian Draconis. I failed to mention Duke Zane or Costas even though they were already in my head. 

I remedied that in Sentinel’s Dagger where you first meet Zane. So why didn’t I also include Costas? Because although I knew there was a fourth guy that was a part of Chrys’s team, I couldn’t land on a name I was happy with. As I got further in the series, I even flirted with the idea that maybe he could be a sentinel. I liked that. I knew he was going to be with Niko and figured an incorruptible assassin would be perfect for a man searching for his own strength. But I just couldn’t get it to work the way I wanted. So, I went back to him as a dragon and since many books had now passed, I had to figure out where the hell he was hiding whenever Chrys, Damian, and Zane were around. You know now that he was off caring for his parents and once I got that issue sorted things fell into place. 

Next post I’ll catch you up with my latest project which I’ll be starting in the next few days (I’m still trying to get through my editing!). I can report that Lich Hollow, a short story featuring the Daray household is now complete and you’ll get to read that next year. The companion thingie is still slowly coming together as well, but I’m ready to sink my teeth into a novel, so I really have no clue how long it’s going to take to complete but I'll get there eventually!

As for GRL, I had a fantastic time and met some wonderful people. I don’t know that I’ll make it to the event every year (especially when it’s not in drivable distance), but I’ll definitely be back at some point.

Here’s the playlist for Niko and Costas:

"Granted" by Josh Groban
"Disconnected" by The Dreaming
"Tell Me Now (What You See)" by Moya Brennan (King Arthur Soundtrack)
"The Fifth Guardian - Interlude" by Epica
"Someone Like You" by My Indigo
"You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker
"Like to Get to Know You Well" by Howard Jones
"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" by Kelly Clarkson
"Confident" by Demi Lovato
"Hero" by Mariah Carey
"We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters
"Rainy Days and Mondays" by The Carpenters
"For All We Know" by The Carpenters
"Superstar" by The Carpenters
"River" by Josh Groban
"Let Me Fall (from Cirque de Soleil)" by Josh Groban
"All or Nothing Love" by Claire Maguire
"I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Josh Groban

In addition to the ones listed above I rediscovered the album, Roseland, NYC Live from Portishead, before I started this book and the feel of it was perfect for the story and helped calm me as I wrote it. Here are the songs from it:
"Humming"
"Cowboys"
"All Mine"
"Mysterons"
"Only You"
"Half Day Closing"
"Over"
"Glory Box"
"Sour Times"
"Roads"
"Strangers"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur