Skip to main content

D'Vaire #30

It doesn’t seem possible that I’ve published thirty books and four short stories, but somehow, I have! When I first started writing Dra’Kaedan’s story, I wasn’t sure I’d finish it. Through the years, I’d created other series and barely wrote more than a few chapters in each project. But my life changed. My biological mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and it galvanized my thoughts. If I wanted to be a writer, then I damn well needed to get my act together and make that dream a reality.

The stitches were barely out of my arm after a recent elbow surgery when I picked up my notebooks and handwrote Dra’Kaedan and Brogan’s book. My mother was growing sicker, and I was exhausted physically and mentally, so there was no celebration on the day I completed it. I don’t even think I told anyone. Without worrying about publishing, I set it aside and started Gavrael and Gedeon’s story. Everything came to a screeching halt because I needed another surgery. A month later, my mother died. She was raising my niece, and I took over that duty. 

A year passed, and we sent my niece off to college. Although I had another surgery scheduled (this one more major than the last two), I finally finished Sentinel’s Dagger. By now, Dra’Kaedan’s book was out in the world, but it’d be close to another year and new editors before Gavrael and Gedeon made their debut. Somewhere along the way, I’d lost my desire to write, but I discovered it anew and Vengeance from the Dark was the result. 

Some dead guys stepped into my head, and I wrote the next three books in about eight weeks. I can’t write that fast any longer. Those guys had waited in my head for years for me to get my act together, and when I did, they weren’t going to waste their opportunity to have their stories told. It’s been five years since then, and thankfully, I still have plenty of guys charging into my brain. 

I’m grateful to them, and to every reader who ever picked up a D’Vaire book. I never forget that without readers, the D’Vaires would still be rotting in notebooks. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking this journey with me. I couldn’t do this without you!

The thirtieth book was one of those that surprised me. Greyson and Morgen were moldering away in the Consilium and wanted more out of life, and I was happy to give it to them. And I was curious about Court Varius. I have a feeling I’ll wind up back there at some point, there are mysteries there that deserve to be unraveled including the last king not to follow his emperors.

However, after Deceiving D’Vaire, I left the Consilium behind me and found myself with another new couple demanding I pay attention to them. One is from a race new to the series, while the other guy is a human hybrid and shifter race that has been mentioned often, but never featured. My fascination with their household led me to write another book about their family, which will be released right after their story. It won’t be the last, there are several more intriguing guys lurking around. The blurb will be a bit later since it’s with my editor, but I’ll share the first hint for the next book tomorrow morning in my Facebook group.

As for what I’m working on now, it’s the couple that started my fascination with M/M. Without them, there would be no D’Vaires, so it’s equally exciting and nerve-wracking to tell their story. I want to ensure that I stay true to who they are and do their story the justice it deserves. It's been slow going but I'm over a third of the way done now. Their book is related to the one I wrapped up a few weeks ago, and I have a feeling I’m not finished with these guys from that original series I long ago dumped. There are two more couples (at least) I’d like to incorporate into the D’Vaire world, but we’ll see how long that takes. It’s far too early to think about my next project, but there's a trio of guys who haven't let me sleep for the past two nights. I wasn't sure I'd do another triple matebond, but unless these guys suddenly shut up, it'll happen at some point!

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/jessamynkingley/
Facebook page: Facebook.com/jessamynkingley
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Jessamyn-Kingley/e/B00WDBYTFG/
Twitter: Twitter.com/jessamynkingley
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jessamyn-kingley


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur