Skip to main content

A bunch of nameless shifters...

In just a few days, Becoming D’Vaire will be up for pre-order. As I look forward to another book release, I find myself with an interesting issue today. I finished up the Imperial Duke’s story a couple of weeks ago and haven’t written a thing since. I couldn’t get my anxiety to calm down until my house was sparkling clean from top to bottom so it was impossible to concentrate, and I didn’t want to start a new story and have to immediately stop since my best friend was coming to visit. He left yesterday afternoon and we had a fantastic week visiting.

So here I am sitting down for the first time trying to get back into the groove of things by starting with the outline for the next guys in my world. Things were flowing really well last night, and I have pages and pages of handwritten notes (which still aren’t typed up!). Today I can’t even decide on names for some of the secondary characters. But I’m not throwing in the towel and these jerks are going to get monikers. It’s incredibly frustrating and I’m annoying myself because one of the major issues is my OCD trying to latch onto things that have no relevance to my life and should not bother me.

I hate that. I read something online or on Facebook and I start thinking too deeply about it. I may not know the players at all, or it simply could be a news article that makes me furious, but I can’t shake off my emotions towards it. I’m actually hoping by writing this all down now that I can somehow cleanse it from my brain so I can focus back on the task at hand. That’s one of the reasons I spend so much time away from social media. I simply never know what comment or post will get sucked back into the recesses of my mind and repeat obsessively in my head. (I refuse to give up reading the paper every day, it’s important to me to be informed of what’s going on in the world around me.)

Okay, having got all that out, let me concentrate on happy things. As I mentioned Becoming D’Vaire will be available soon. It’s one of my favorite books and I certainly hope you enjoy Delaney and Grigori’s tale. Delaney didn’t let me know who his mate was when I first created him way back in Sentinel’s Dagger but once he did, I fell in love with his vampire. Grigori is much like Delaney – intelligent, quirky, and marches to his own drum.

As always, there are things you will learn about the D’Vaire family as well as the Council world at large. On a side note here, if you ever find yourself with unanswered questions at the end of the book, I beg you for patience. Often, I leave out things you might want to read because they are intended to be revealed in an upcoming story.

I realize this is a bit scattered and not necessarily flowing well from paragraph to paragraph. It’s kind of a status report for my state of mind today. I’m going to force myself to get back to work now. I’ve got a new kind of shifter in this book and I can’t introduce them if I fail to figure out what their father named them at birth. He’s a shithead but I’m trying not to let that get in the way of the process. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur