Skip to main content

Catching up with Cadlyr

I have gone back and offered what I hope is a little insight into the D’Vaire series up to the seventh book, so it was time I sat down and reflected on the eighth one. Disregarding Fate was one of those stories that took me by surprise. As I was writing Vengeance from the Dark, I found myself with an inevitable confrontation. I’d introduced the character of Cadlyr of the Cwylld in Sentinel’s Dagger, but I didn’t realize at the beginning that he was Talfryn’s brother.
His past came to me slowly as I unpeeled the layers of his personality and I learned a great deal about him. I don’t know where the idea of his mate came from, but I knew right away about his funeral pyre. When I finished Vengeance, I wasn’t still wasn’t sure if Cadlyr’s mate had truly died in that fire or if he had faked it all to avoid living with the Cwylld. I moved on to the next book but the idea of Cadlyr’s story wouldn’t leave me alone.
Time after time I worked through the possibilities and I became convinced that Cadlyr’s other half was definitely still alive. If he had died, it wouldn’t have been more than a pebble in the water of the almost two thousand years Cadlyr had already lived. What kind of impact would a man he met only once truly have on him even if they were mates? It was simply too interesting to explore the idea of them reuniting.
His mate Evlithar’s journey changed a great deal over the months I slowly plotted while I worked through books three through seven. If he was going to trick Cadlyr there needed to be a good damn reason and that little blue elf stole my heart as I created him. His family too morphed even as I finally got to work on Disregarding Fate and no one was more surprised by how things turned out then I was.
It was also a great deal of fun after writing so many books featuring fallen knights, sentinels, and necromancers to hang out with some elves again. I like the ability to step into the shoes of these different races with their unique customs and carve out their romances. And because of Evlithar and the Valzadari I’ve crafted some really fun tribes that he mentioned briefly to the D’Vaires that don’t yet belong to the Council. I was also moved to put together a book I would have never considered before I met the Valzadari rulers. I haven’t written it yet, but it is seriously not going away and I’m super excited to write it when I get to that number on the list.
I’m still between books though I have an outline at the ready. I hope to get the chance to start it soon but lately life has kept me rather busy and it unfortunately keeps getting pushed back which is annoying to say the least. I wanted to have it done before I left for Virginia for GRL in October but that is so not going to happen at this point!
Evlithar and Cadlyr didn’t turn out to have that long of a playlist but the one that I played over and over again was “Hello” by Adele. It just seemed to fit them so perfectly. The only other song that belongs to them is “No Son of Mine” by Genesis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur