Skip to main content

I wish I could just teleport...

Next week I will not have a blog post for you. I will be either freaking out about going to GRL, traveling, or experiencing this get together for the first time. It’s on my mind so let’s talk travel. The first thing you have to do when preparing to go anyplace is pack. I must say it’s not my favorite activity. It’s true that I am horribly addicted to both shoes and clothes which means I like the process of deciding what to wear even if it sometimes takes me awhile to finalize my choices.

But it all starts going downhill when I try to cram everything I want to bring into a reasonably sized suitcase. There’s never enough room and it’s amazing that I somehow normally manage to stay under that fifty-pound weight limit. I used to keep a spreadsheet to make sure I didn’t forget anything but now I start a few days early (okay, more like a week or more) so I can give my brain plenty of time to remember every little thing I want to have on hand. (My husband not only makes a detailed list but repacks three times every trip. He calls my reckless abandonment of my spreadsheet foolhardy and begging for trouble. I, in turn, roll my eyes and tell him to get a life.)

While I have at times attempted to curb my impulses to overpack, I don’t want to be uncomfortable on my trip. I have enough anxiety regarding the travel itself and whatever social things I have to do while I am there, I don’t need to worry that I’ve left behind the wrong shoes! Once the misery of packing is completed, I move on to grabbing every charger in the house to ensure everything is at full battery power before I step outside. This is not my OCD, this is the husband following me asking me if everything is charged. (He does the same thing before every thunderstorm. He’s lucky I haven’t shoved him under a lightning bolt.)

Finally walking out the door, my mind turns to the whole airport ordeal. Ugh, is there anything more annoying than standing in that security line knowing you have to quickly rip off your shoes, your belt, and pulling out the laptop without dropping something or irritating all the people behind you by moving too slow? Once I get to the gate the doomsday scenarios start. Today might be the day the plane crashes and I am found smashed up against a mountain. I have to lift up my pant leg to make sure I shaved my legs so the emergency personnel, coroner, etc. think I have good grooming habits and don’t know that most of my life I’m sitting around the house wearing pajamas and wondering when I last combed my hair.

Once the plane is up in the air, I’m actually pretty good unless there’s turbulence. I hate that stomach dropping feeling! I will usually read a book, listen to music, or in recent years work on editing. (I am too keyed up to write.) If it’s a long flight, at about hour three I start getting antsy. My attention span is too short to just sit there patiently. By the time the plane lands, I am ready to shove the husband out into the aisle just so I can stand the hell up and RUN to freedom This trip to Portsmouth is going to require a dreaded changeover which means TWO FLIGHTS each way. I wanted direct but apparently no airline flies straight from Las Vegas to Portsmouth. 

Anyway, that’s a super fun day traveling with me. I exude calmness while on the inside my mind is calculating how many hours until I can toss my luggage into the hotel room, wash my face, and get back into my beloved nightclothes while doing its best not to freak out that in a few days I’m going to have make it back home. Have you picked up any tricks to make your own travel easier or less intimidating?

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the questions you guys asked about D'Vaire, I promise to get to them soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching up!

It’s been six months since I wrote a blog post. I didn’t intend to stop writing them for so long, but life got in the way. Between struggles with a lack of creativity and some minor medical issues, I’m trying to work my way back to writing daily. But I did finally finish a book!  At the start of the year, I was burned out and wasn’t sure how to get my guys to talk to me again. I’ve mentioned before that I have OCD. I also struggle with depression. This year my doctor and I decided medication was a necessity. It has helped. So has balancing out my other health struggles and my ever-changing role as a spouse to someone with primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Sjogren’s syndrome.  This time of year, I always try to send my editor my dates for the following year. I decided to commit myself to fewer releases in 2024. I’m going to put out five novels and a short story. The biggest change is that they won’t all be D’Vaire books. To find some inspiration, I had to take a huge step back

This one is a bit short...

Five weeks ago, I sprained my finger and unfortunately, the tears in my collateral ligaments are still healing. I’m back at the orthopedist at the end of the month to check on it and with some luck, I’ll get to stop wearing the straps anchoring it soon. As you can imagine, it’s limiting my time on the computer. But I'm squeezing in as much writing and editing as I can. It was great to finally return to the D’Vaire household with Scales and Stone, and we’ll be there again for the next edition to the series, which is a holiday story. In my Facebook group, I’ll reveal the first hint about what to expect from the D’Vaires and their loved ones tomorrow morning. Although I’d hoped to be finished with a book by now, I’m still plugging away at it. The characters are being patient with me, which I appreciate. Like Scales and Stone, it takes place at the D’Vaire mansion, and it’s been fun to hang out with some of my favorite people. At this point, I’m still paranoid about whether these

Twists and turns

Shadowy Illusions was a fun, but emotional project, and I'm thrilled that Amaury was so insistent on telling his story. He definitely deserves a happily ever after, and so do his mates. After spending a few months hanging out with the Gennevioses, I enjoyed them, but I was ready to move on.  I’ve spoken several times now in my Facebook group about how many of the books this year contain characters that came into my head long before the D’Vaire series planted its roots in my brain. I'm not sure why they chose now to demand things, but I was happy to oblige. The next book is the last of those…at least for now, because I have a ton of old stories, and I certainly can’t predict who is going to jump in and request a story next.  Unlike Matebond Dance and Deliciously Enchanted , where the stories paralleled their original tales, the couple coming next barely resemble their foundational characters. Their story has edged its way near the top of the list of books I love most. It featur